Sunday, July 12, 2009

Beer & Autobahn

Eric arrived yesterday after a very uneventful flight. Good for him! Tomorrow we'll be leaving for Katwijk (Holland) on our family vacation, which includes the four of us, my parents, my brother and his wife with Niklas, and her parents. Yes, that's a lot of people, but we'll be spread out in two houses.

So I have been in Germany for more than a week and I have not yet said anything about beer or the Autobahn for that matter. Now, the Autobahn is not as exciting as anyone outside of Germany makes it out to be. I like the Autobahn. Mostly because it's like driving on a race track, which has not that much to do with speed. It's just really tight, the lanes are very narrow, there are a lot of cars driving at the same time. So going 70 mph seems much faster than it typically would.

I'm not a big beer drinker, but will elaborate on beer a little more the next time. Let me just say this much, my dad and my brother are packing beer to take on our vacation to Holland. We are only about 45 minutes (by car) from the Dutch border. It's about three hours to Amsterdam. They are taking beer from Germany because they say the Dutch beer is undrinkable. Here's to Heineken, ha!
We explored my brother's beer fridge in his "party house" and Eric grabbed a bottled of Weissbier, not knowing that it was one of those novelty beers: Weissbier with star fruit and fig. He quickly traded it for a straight forward Pilsner. That's Reinheitsgebot (purity regulations) in action.

As I said, more about beer the next time. Here are some more photos from our adventures:
Germany Week 2

No comments:

Post a Comment